Ronda - Zahara de la Sierra
Zahara is an epic name during the Arab-Hispanic age, specially at the Narazi tribe domain, between the 14th and the 15th century. Its geographical location, its special placement and the powerful fortresses the village had once upon a time, made it a main place at the called "Battle of the Strait", when the village changed several times of owner. At the last of this consecutive conquests, when the arabs recovered the town, the Catholic Monarchs decided firmly to arrange the conquest of the whole South of Andalusia.
Located today at the route of the white village of the province of Cadiz, it has got, with its castle over rocks, a pleasure of landscape, filled with valleys and mountains, next to a reservoir of recent built. Zahara lives from agriculture and cattle farming. The village has been declared historic and artistic place at 1983, with an ancient church, that, due to its difficult access, inside the town's fortress, was the origin of the current church, built at 1773, whose work was directed by the famous sevillian architect Antonio de Figueroa.
It celebrates the festive day of the Corpus Christi since 1500. At the present, this day is celebrated with the whole town decorated charmingly and attractively. It celebrates also a pilgrimage in honour of St. John, Fair on august, from 20th to 23th and the fair of the Patron Saints, St. Simon and St. Judas, on october, 28th.
- Population : 1460
- Expanse: 72,5 km2
- Distance from Ronda: 32 Km
- Altitude: 510m