Ronda - Gaucín
Its name comes from the arab name Gair-Guazan, which means "strong rock" The village is located at the side of the mount Hacho. From that point can be seen the Strait and the Mount of Gibraltar, Ceuta, and, by the north side, the mountain range of Ronda.
Over the houses can be seen the Eagle's castle, first a Roman and afterwards an arab fortress, being one of the main fortresses during the wars between arabs and christians, specially at the known as the Strait's battle. Next to its walls died the famous captain Alonso Pérez de Guzmán (Guzmán the Good), Tarifa's hero. Gaucin was also an important place at the time of the war against Napoleon.
It has got an extense vegetation full of cork oaks, chestnut trees, pines and holm oaks, as well as lots of pasture land.The cattle raising is also important, specially concerning cows, sheeps and pigs. It has also sources of different kinds of mineral water.
The village has got nice architecture examples at its buildings, with lots of 16th and 17th century forging at its balconies and windows. It is advisable to visit the Six Spouts Fountain of 1628. The Carmelite's Convent was built at the 18th century. The Patron Saint is the Virgin of the Snows, but, in fact, the Patron Saint is the sculpture of Jesus Child, conserved as a gift made by St. Juan de Dios to the village at 1540.
It celebrates the festive day of the Virgin of the Snows the second week of august, Fair in honour of Jesus Child in September, 7th and 8th and the St. John's pilgrimage in June, 23th.
- Population : 1671
- Expanse: 98,2 km2
- Distance from Ronda: 37 Km
- Altitude: 620m