Ronda - Cuevas del Becerro
It was conquered by the King Alfonso XI for the Christian Kingdom, later it was an arab's domain and finally it belonged to the Kingdom of Castille under the domain of the Catholic Monarchs after a new conquest. The church of St. Antonio Abad was founded at 1595.
At the hills over the village there can be seen the rests of fortresses of different times. One of them, with an altitude of 958 metres, is called by the natives "El Castillón" (the hughe castle). From the ancient Roman setlement is conserved a ceramics oven.
The local Fairs are celebrated at january, 17th, celebrating St. Antonio Abad's day, and at may, 15th, celebrating St. isidro Labrador's day, with a pilgrimage dedicated to him. The fair, celebrated formerly on january, is at the present celebrated on september, 3rd.
Cuevas del Becerro is an agriculture and cattle raising village.
It produces a good goat cheese and also wheat, oil, sunflowers, chickpeas and several and fine sweets, being the best of them the ones known as "sighs".
- Population : 1670
- Expanse: 16 km2
- Distance from Ronda: 20 Km
- Altitude: 724m