Ronda - Interpretation Centre of Wine
Wine Tasting School
The winery "la sangre" offers you the opportunity to know, to smell and to savour a tradition in Ronda that has at least 6.000 years of history.
In one of the most beautiful houses in Ronda, which formed part of the "giant's house" are to be found valuable archaelogical romains from the Iberian, Roman and arabic cultures, and amongst them a wine press. In the XIV century the house was the NAZARI palace and finally towards the middle of the XX century a winery. The house conserves a lobely patio surroended by columns suppoting a superb wooden balcony.
Since the first prehistoric settlements in our area and the regions of Andalucia it has been observed that alongside our own evolution a product has been developed, a commodity fundamental to food, to recreation and to relious rituals - this is wine. passing throung civilizations, Iberian, Greek, Carthaginian, Byzantine, Phoenician, Roman, Visigoth and Arab ect. all of whom make us what we are todey, our wines left behind traces of what they were and at the same time became enriched and production improved with the variety and kowlwdge of new techniques.
You will be to learn its secrets, the reason for the colour and smell, and how it is matured and produced in the wine cellars. At our museum and wine tasting school "Escuela de Cata" we open the doors to you to a world of passion. Besides learning how to differentiate between diferent taste you will be able to analyse and pick out the more than 56 aromas that we have catalogued as being possible in one glass, and wiht pleasure we always invite you to taste some of our wines. We run all levels of courses from basic to those directed at professionals who wish to futher develop their knowledge.
The museum is complemented with 12 thematic rooms:
- Audio-visual room
- Lodges from Prehistoric time to Roman age. In this room you will find the remains of the old cultures that lived in Ronda, their way to make the wine, their products and the relative importance that it had in its economy. Latin American, Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Greek, Tartesios…
- Visigoda and Arabian Time. The importance of the wine at the Muslim time can surprise any expert. In spite of its prohibition, it was a flourishing time in the wine development in Ronda. Its production can be quantified as well in million annual liters increasing its diversity. In the panels of the room it is possible to be observed the extension of the vineyards, more than 400 hectares, and the consumption that the Muslim town in those times did. Also is a study of the wine like religious ritual in the different Hebrew , Christian and muslim cultures.
- History of the wine in Ronda, from the Christian occupation to the present time. In this room a route by the historical wealth takes place rondeña, its wine population and its production throughout the time.The influence that the internal wars and the French occupation, and like in spite of everything, stayed an extraordinary vinícola production that with the passage of time it was also increasing its quality.
- Elaboration of the different types from wines, white, red, pink and frothy. You can see the secrets of each production and they mature age until his bottling.
- Agriculture. The exigencies of the ground and the climate meet the mountainous area of Ronda of extraordinary form, with exceptional conditions for wines of highest quality. The detailed development of all the tasks is observed that accompany from the production of the grape to vendimia.
- The cork. It tells to the way of manufacture of the corks and the history of the plant that originates it, the cork oak. The quality of such depends on the zone where they are located, being the mountainous area of remarkable Ronda by the same.
- The bottles and the barrel. All the containers are not adaptered for a product like wine. In this room the different containers are narrated that have been used throughout the time; fundamentally the one of the crystal in bottles and the importance of the wood used in the barrel.
- Types of grape. Of more than 3000 types of existing grapes, but their respective clones, we emphasized most important, its qualities and their zones of production.
- Dictionary of the wine. A so complex world requires a special vocabulary.
- School of tasting. Through the different panels a complete course of tasting can be made. The different phases are described from the same one; visual , olorosa and gustativa phase.Discover the different colours and reflections that lodge the wine as well as its innumerable scents and flavours. Learning to differentiate them and to catalogue them. A world of sensations that were unravelled, learning when and as he is opportune to unravel a certain type of wine.
- Wine store. They will be able to acquire best wines and to the smaller price thankstoour agreement with the different warehouses. An extraordinary memory of its pass by our city.
- Room of documentation and offices.
More information at museum's webpage: www.museodelvinoderonda.com